The Finnish state acquired the residence in Sibeliova 6, 162 00 Prague 616 from František Fencl’s family in 1948 after protracted negotiations. The deal as such was not subject to the political situation then. The Embassy Chancery was also in the house until 1973. The neobaroque house had been built in 1930.
The original street-name was Na Andělce, according to an inn called Andělka. After the Embassy bought the house, the street was re-named to mark the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius.